It is traditionally known to be a difficult problem: identify the best sales people, and find a way to connect to them, and eventually get them to join you and your mission.
The best sales people never sell, they do something else entirely, usually black magic to non-sales folks, but have just mastered the natural art of the win-win, these people are rare and worth their weight in gold. Ending up with one or two of such folks at sales leadership positions can make a startup. Getting the wrong people in this layer can categorically break the startup.
So we will come back to the VP of Sales, an obviously critical role. Today, we’ll talk about something related, but different. We’re talking about the VP of Growth.
From Growth Hacker to Growth Doctor
So what does an Awake Growth Doctor look like?
Title: VP of Growth Marketing aka Growth Doctor
- Develop and lead our overall growth marketing strategy–– focused on conceptualizing and activating campaigns to generate qualified leads and strengthen the sales pipeline.
- Manage a team of growth marketers, cultivating a data-driven mindset and culture of experimentation and continuous improvement.
- Optimize our ABM program to gain traction with top target accounts, and work closely with Sales leadership on strategies to accelerate in-pipeline deals into signed customers.
- Refine marketing attribution models and continually analyze the effectiveness of all demand-generating marketing channels to determine which efforts to scale or adjust.
- Oversee our lead scoring and nurturing programs––optimizing them to expedite opportunity creation, pipeline acceleration, closed-won revenue.
- Expand our digital marketing strategy by working with others across the marketing team to maximize qualified traffic and leads from SEO, paid social, search, content syndication.
- Partner with leadership on our go-to-market strategies for entering new markets.
- Establish strong internal relationships with key cross-functional leadership within Sales, Client Strategy, Product, and Product Marketing to gain a deep understanding of our short-term and long-term business growth goals.
- Identify and onboard new marketing technologies and vendors that will improve our marketing reach and efficiency
Skills & Requirements
- 10-15+ years B2B marketing experience, ideally B2B2C experience
- SaaS industry experience, ideally with understanding of the evolving digital marketing landscape
- Proven track record for developing B2B snd B2B2C growth marketing strategies that deliver tangible business results
- Comfortable working closely with executives
- Experience with various CRMs required; experience with in-house marketing automation is preferred, along with broad experience with the likes of Hubspot and others
- Team player with a “do-er” mentality––mix of large company (operating at scale) and small company (scrappy execution) experiences
- Clear, concise communicator with excellent writing skills
- Able to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment. Past fast growth startup experience.
Benefits & Perks
- Robust health benefits packages including access to a 401k and various medical, dental and vision plan
- Full support for remote work during COVID-19
- Regular company-wide social events (even virtually!)
- An extremely enthusiastic team that appreciates collaboration
- Google-like 80/20 projects, so 20% time can be used across Awake projects
Awake is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Awake has a different vision, and a unique cultural mission. We’re committed to diversity and maintaining a work environment that is free from harassment and discrimination. We’re committed to them because our core values demand it – values like Integrity First, Listening & Cultivating Discussion, and Default to Action. We believe in embracing “self” and that our true strength lies in the diversity of our employees. For this reason, applicants from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any protected status under federal, state, or local law. Awake leads through awareness.
Welcome to Awake!